Wheelgun Nation

At a time when almost all modern nations’ military forces were adopting semi-auto handguns, the British stubbornly clung to revolvers. From 1887 to 1928, their standard service revolver cartridge had been .455 Webley, which made the transition from black powder to smokeless powder loadings. Last of the .455 revolvers was the 40-ounce Mark VI, which came into service in 1916, but by 1928, it was supplanted officially by the much smaller but likewise functioning Enfield No. 2 Mk 1. Due to firearms shortages, .455 revolvers actually served through World War II and beyond.

The post Wheelgun Nation appeared first on American Handgunner.